Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying Suzuki jimny or the two door grand vitara

Starting to build up my forum posts Website Associate

Thinking of buying Suzuki jimny or the two door grand vitara

Hi there
    i have just joined the club and wondered about the difference between the jimny and the two door grand vitara. Any views appreciated. Also Suzuki are offering a grand vitara for $26990. I wondered could it be considered for off reading as well.
    I will probably want to increase my skills and what's a good way to go about it
    many thanks looking forward to being a member
    Leon
    i have just finished walking 580 km of the Australian alps walking track aawt
    so driving will be good thinking of the larapinta next
    Last edited by Leonh; 16-05-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Thought of something else

I post on the forum a bit Club Member Wayne Waddington's Avatar
    Hi Leonh and welcome.

The Jimny is really a fun car to own. But you have to know what you're getting. Front and back live axles don't make for a comfortable ride and not the safest in some circumstances either. Thin seats, rear drum brakes. As one journalist put it, the trouble with the Jimny is the "getting there". Once off road they're great fun.

My Jimny is a second car. I use it as a city run-around (and it's tiny size makes it excellent in this role, I've parked in places you'd barely fit a shopping trolley. Other than that, it's primary role is 4wdriving. With a growing number of mods, it's very capable.

Do you have a family ? How are you going to use it ? If it's a secondary vehicle primarily used for "hobby" purposes, then no problems. If you're going to do long distance travelling, or you have a family, or you want comfort and better safety, the Vitara may be the better choice. To get the best out of the Jimny off road they can do with some basic mods and I'm sure the same can be done with a Vitara (to a point).

Finally, with the self imposed limit that Suzuki has put on the cars (100 imported per year), the asking price is not much less than the Grand Vitara and not likely to be very negotiable as the new import numbers are way down on previous year's sales.

More experienced members can comment on the Grand Vitara's off road ability but from the drives I've seen mildly modified Vit's on, they don't do too bad.

EDIT: did I mention power ? You need to know how to use a gearbox and rpm with a Jimny. Powerhouses they're not.
    Last edited by Wayne Waddington; 17-05-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks for all that, good thoughts, I would be using it mostly for myself but I would also want to do some highway miles.
    i am not so comfort orientated but?.. the dealer says that the jimny is almost unavailable as is the 3 door grand vitara. So that would mean second hand. One question, some of the grand vitara say constant 4wd I am unsure if this would be suitable
    again thanks
    leon

My wife and I have taken the Jimny down to Ballarat and then back via Melbourne to Orbost and then the Victorian High Country popping out near Thredbo and home. Neither of us have good backs so it's not that bad, but you certainly can do better for comfort.

I'm not familiar with the Grand Vitara at all. However, if it's constant 4wd, that would mean that it has a centre diff (the Jimny does not, you shouldn't use 4wd unless you're on a loose or slippery surface).

That's fine for off road as long as it has a centre diff lock. I note from the reviews the later models have torsen centre diffs (functionally like a Limited slip diff) and a means of locking it. I don't know about earlier models, you'd need to check. If you can lock that centre diff, then no problems off road.

Do a google search for "Grand Vitara off road" or something along those lines. It threw up a number of articles, off road tests and included a couple on "Buying a used Vitara".

This article covered a few points including a little bit re the off road ability but it also has a history of the GV which may be useful if you're looking at buying used.

http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.co...i-grand-vitara
    Last edited by Wayne Waddington; 18-05-2017 at 01:27 PM.

is this how I edit this? Club Member
    I have 2 friends with new GVs. They still have low range and a locking diff. Have done a few easier trips with each of them without issue. The only issue they have had is locating suitably meaty tyres for the stock Zook wheels.
    Thinking of selling your soft top Sierra? Contact Mitch at right here!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Hutchinson View Post
    I have 2 friends with new GVs. They still have low range and a locking diff. Have done a few easier trips with each of them without issue. The only issue they have had is locating suitably meaty tyres for the stock Zook wheels.

Thanks gentlemen
    very helpful, I have been looking intently for a week or so and am over looking but might wait a bit as I will be overseas for a while. One of the dealers said that there is a new 2 door coming out in july
    but thanks again. One thing that seems to be is that the club members seem to prefer older models. Probably because they get a bit knocked about in the bush
    leon

Thanks for the article as well, I shal study more carefully but gave it a quick read
    leon

One of the jimny I looked at has low km's seems in good nick has an extra or two in side rails, navigation system and has been raised. What is involved in raising a jimny. Is it new springs or shock absorbers?
    It seemed quite good without being as comfortable as the grand vitara's

Replacement springs and shock absorbers. The springs alone are not enough, you need longer travel in the shocks. There's also body lift independent of suspension lift but I think this is illegal in airbag models.

Several companies make kits. Lift to 2" is legal and shouldn't do bad things to the steering unless you've got worn bushes, particularly king pin. The Jimny's get a "death wobble" at around 70 kph if things are worn and this is made much worse by lift. Suzuki themselves has a "fix" for it which involves some shimming, you can also fit corrected radius arm bushes (or entire radius arms) to move the axles back closer to where they should be after lift.

I put in a lift at about 40,000 klm with no corrections or shimming (other than wheel alignment) and there's only the barest hint of a shimmy in the steering passing through 70 kph on deceleration. So, low miles, low wear, no problems.

Thanks for that, I had read that both the jimny and the grand vitara benefit with a bit more clearance. I have committed to buying a 3 door grand vitara all going well it should be finalised next week.
    It needs a nudge bar which seems be what they call those small bull bars. Any advise on what to buy also where etc appreciated
    thanks again
    i will also need to put 4 new tyres on it some sort of duel purpose any suggestions for good buys
    Last edited by Leonh; 25-05-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling + addition of tyres